Wednesday, December 1, 2010

My Super Duper Houston Baby Shower

As I mentioned in my last post, my mom and sister threw me an amazing shower while I was in Houston and now that I'm back safe and sound (and cold) in Chicago, I'm finally ready to share all the details.

Back when we decided that we were not going to find out the gender of the baby, I had to get started on some sort of generic nursery theme.  Since Michael and I both are avid readers, we thought it would be fitting to do a classic children's book themed nursery.  I'll go into the nursery details another time, since most of the decor is still sitting in drawers at this point.  When my mom and sister learned of the theme, they got to work on a shower theme that ties in with the nursery.  I now give you the ultimate book-themed baby shower invite:

My favorite part is the "due in February" stamp.  And yes, I insisted that they send me an invitation as well.  My sister got the template from Emily Style and my friend Amira (who owns Rosetta Papers, a super cute invitation and stationary shop that did my wedding invitations and thank you cards) did all of the personalization.  Love.

The shower was at my mom's house and they filled every available space with children's books (and corresponding toys, stuffed animals, food, and drinks) and framed book covers.  Get ready for a photo overload...











I loved the ducks.

They set the table beautifully, using blue and pink as the colors (again, since we don't know the gender).


All of the food on the menu was related to children's books.
  

Bookworms

After a delicious meal, it was time for me to rip open some gifts.  About halfway through opening everything, it hit me:  I own these items.  These toys will be all over my house.  Oh my gosh I am having a baby!  Like, for reals.




About halfway through all of this self-indulgentness, I saw someone out of the corner of my eye creeping around the backyard.  Then I saw my friend King.  I proceeded to say "oh my god" about 39 times.
I just want to point out that this was all his idea.
The best part about this is that we live on a busy street so when he left, he was getting honked at left and right.  


Somehow after all of this we were able to focus on a quick game.


One of my favorite things was the favor table.  My sister downloaded an "Alice in Wonderland" font and created all of the little signs and notes here.  Each of the take-out boxes had vintage "Alice in Wonderland" gift tags and inside were matching bookmarks as well as "eat me" and "drink me" treats.



But probably the very best thing was having my closest girlfriends in a room together.  After my wedding, I wasn't sure that I'd ever get to have this opportunity again and so it really was an amazing and special feeling to be with all of them at the same time once again.  It wasn't easy- we had girls from Denver, New York, Chicago, and Las Vegas who all made the trip.  I love yall!



Oh, and this was super fun:



No comments:

Post a Comment